New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sr. Guapo
Swordmaster

USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 15 2004 :  9:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be honest, when I learned DirectX, I went straight to DX8 (It was the most recent). I also dove right into 3D (I never did more than a simple square in 2D). Anyway, I decided I should learn some of the 2D stuff now...

I had a question, for a character (or anything for that matter), would it be faster and/or easier to just use point sprites instead of the usual 2 triangles? Common sense dictates it would be, due to the fact that there is only one point (instead of 4 or 6), although I could be wrong. any ideas

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - May 15 2004 :  10:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem with point sprites, is that they work great and I have found them faster, if you don't want much control over them...
But If you want to change colors, alpha, or position of then different corners, then you are going to be out of luck.........
Its basically up to the programmer and what they want there sprite to do, and if they have speed issues then a point sprite would be alot faster...... but I sacrifice the speed in that area and work on speed in other areas, because the sprite is the essential part of any game......

DaBooda out...

DaBooda Team is back: http://dabooda.789mb.com/
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - May 15 2004 :  10:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry forgot to add one thing...........

Point sprites are not fully supported by all cards......... so if you use them, be careful.... thats another reason to use tristrips......... yes slower...... but more compatible......

I hope this helps and of course I'm a blithering idiot....

DaBooda out......

DaBooda Team is back: http://dabooda.789mb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sr. Guapo
Swordmaster

USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 15 2004 :  11:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah... didn't think of comptibiliy. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Almar

Netherlands
192 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  02:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Almar's Homepage  Send Almar an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masterbooda

Sorry forgot to add one thing...........

Point sprites are not fully supported by all cards......... so if you use them, be careful.... thats another reason to use tristrips......... yes slower...... but more compatible......

I hope this helps and of course I'm a blithering idiot....

DaBooda out......

I believe they actually are, but not all features. My voodoo3 seams to support them.

Great point sprite example: check out "Elements of Nature" at my site, http://www.persistentrealities.com-> code
Go to Top of Page

EACam
Warrior

154 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  1:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and Almar's particle tutorial rox the house; so look at that too, Sr. Guapo (is it just me, or did you watch The Three Amigos one too many times...Mr. Handsome!).
Go to Top of Page

Sr. Guapo
Swordmaster

USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe... No, I've seen the movie (once I may add), but the name has a very long history to it. Thanks for the help though, the tutorials are great.

Edited by - Sr. Guapo on May 16 2004 3:44:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

ballistik

72 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe, The Three Amigos, I love that movie! ..... oops... thinking out loud again....

Sr. Guapo
Swordmaster

USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  4:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes one of us... who likes the movie anyway...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
VBGamer © Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2002 - 2004 Eric Coleman, Peter Kuchnio , et. al.