Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

staryavsky
Neophyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am developing a mudbase called starrmud.
it is a vb6 codebase, i have done quite a bit, but need some creative help. If you join my team you will have full access to the source code.
It is OPENSOURCE, but the credit should be given when due, dont you think?

If you join you will be an immortal when the game is finished, and have creative freedom.

If you reply i will send you the source and put you on the team.

Check out the team center if you are intrested http://starrmud.blogspot.com/

We are a new team, but if your intrested post here or on the blog.

Edited by - staryavsky on Apr 06 2006 3:00:46 PM

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi staryavsky,

I've written a vb6 mud client before, so I might be interested in trying a server. What is the current status of your project? Do you have a host that will run it?

I have, in the somewhere-not-too-distant future, plans to write a full MUD server in REALbasic using their free linux IDE.

Let me know more about your project, and I'll see if I can contribute.

Regards,

- Corey

Go to Top of Page

staryavsky
Neophyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey corey,
(And any other reader, there is a lot on this post, but bear with me!)

Well the project is early in stages. There is no host for it as of yet, infact thats kind of something i need help on.

At this point the server takes logins, stores character data, simple commands like gossip, say, and simple directional commands are currently active.

To you and all other intrested developers!

Here is the problem:

I am using arrays to store the character information when they log-on. The main server for has 2 winsock controls, 1 for listening and another for hosting each end user, and has an index that increments with each new user ( as written from the microsoft website for winsock applications www.microsoft.com )

After logging on I asign a new instance of the connection winsock control to each user for which is stored in virtual memory, so we can keep track of 'which user' uses 'which control'.

For instance, say user Joe is in the same room as user Fred. He could type 'hey whats up, ' for the command "talk, or say" A normal mud whould say "You say: whats up?" on joes screen and on freds screen it would say "joe says: hey whats up?" well in order to send everyone in the room that information we have to loop through the users to see who is in that room and send them the information. GREAT! thats very simple right?

well the problem i need the MOST help with is: When i try this it is supposed to send each user that information, which it does! but it isnt posted automaticly. it sends the info after you hit enter or try to do something else, its almost like its delayed. is it just that im doing it locally? if anyone knows anything about winsock controls and what the problem might be, that would get us past hump 1.

Thanks for reading,
-Johnny Staryavsky

Go to Top of Page

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  6:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi staryavsky,

Try moving the code out of the winsock control event DataArrival into a function, then call the function from the event. Something like below. I've noticed the VB winsock control can be picky about stuff like that.

Private Sub wskMain_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long)

Dim sData As String

' - Get incoming packet and send it for processing.
If bytesTotal > 0 Then
Call wskMain.GetData(sData, vbString, bytesTotal)
Call processIncomingMessage(sData)
End If

End Sub

Good luck!

- Corey
Go to Top of Page

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  6:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, you should seriously consider making sure your server supports ANSI escape sequences (so clients can see text in pretty colors), and also basic support for telnet and perhaps vt100 protocol.

- Corey
Go to Top of Page

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  7:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oops...one more thing. You can try checking out http://www.rpmud.com which features another open-source vb mude server.
Go to Top of Page

Eric Coleman
Gladiator

USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  3:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eric Coleman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is source for a simple BBS on planetsourcecode.com. It supports telnet and ANSI colors I think. the link

Go to Top of Page

staryavsky
Neophyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS GUYS

I got it to the next stage.

Now can anyone tell me how to access the project using telnet? I mean of course i can dial in the address and port but it dosnt function!

I have been using WinTin mud client to access it. Which works great. But i would like to have the flexibility of telnet, for gamers without clients for quick links.

Thanks again
-John
Go to Top of Page

Eric Coleman
Gladiator

USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eric Coleman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at the BBS code at the link I provided at planetsourcecode?
Go to Top of Page

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

To connect with a telnet client, your server needs to list on port 23. However, you will need to implement the telnet protocol which basically allows your server to know what the client supports or doesn't support (such as terminal emulation, client window size, etc).

I suggest you follow Eric's advice and download the BBS source or some other source example as well as study the telnet protocol if you want to make your MUD server effective.

You can also download an open source VB MUD server at RPMUD.com. Since writing such a server is such a large task (and probably more than one person can handle), maybe you should make your bones by participating in an existing project.

Once you get the experience, then your own project may be less of an uphill struggle.

Just some friendly advice. Good luck, and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

- Corey
Go to Top of Page

cbx
Swordmaster

Canada
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  6:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cbx's Homepage  Send cbx an ICQ Message  Click to see cbx's MSN Messenger address  Send cbx a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive my ingnorence, but what is a "Mud server base"?

Created by: X
http://www.createdbyx.com/
Go to Top of Page

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  7:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi cbx,

MUD stands for "Multi-User Dungeon". They were the first online multi-player role playing adventures. They are mainly text-based, though there is something called a GMUD (Graphical MUD).

You can get an idea of the size of the MUD community by visiting www.mudconnect.com

- Corey
Go to Top of Page

cbx
Swordmaster

Canada
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  7:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cbx's Homepage  Send cbx an ICQ Message  Click to see cbx's MSN Messenger address  Send cbx a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Hmmm,... Yes, unfortunatley it's not my speed. (I kinda hate having to read) But it's cool people are still embracing DOS like games!

Go to Top of Page

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  8:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a screen-shot of a java-based MUD client taken from the login screen of Lusternia:

Here's a MUD client I wrote (and mostly finished...) in VB:

- Corey
Go to Top of Page

IAC249
Squire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  9:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit IAC249's Homepage  Send IAC249 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think writing a full-fledged MUD server in VB would be "cool". It would definately suck when it came time to finding a host, however. You can get a Linux shell account that will host a basic MUD for about $6 a month, but you won't be able to touch that when it came for paying for hosting a socket application on a Windows server somewhere. Mostly likely, you'd end up having to set up your own dedicated server.

Mostly for the hosting considerations, I have long-term plans to write a server in REALbasic, which has a lot more features than VB6, like multi-threading and ability to create console applications (and even NT services). Moreover, it can can compile to either Linux, Windows, or Mac.

Just my 2 cents...

- Corey

Go to Top of Page

cbx
Swordmaster

Canada
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  9:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cbx's Homepage  Send cbx an ICQ Message  Click to see cbx's MSN Messenger address  Send cbx a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ROFL Dude that was the game (Lusternia) that i just spent playing for 5 minutes checking out mud servers!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
VBGamer © Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2002 - 2004 Eric Coleman, Peter Kuchnio , et. al.