Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eric Coleman
Gladiator

USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2004 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eric Coleman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocliff

This sounds really smart, do you have any example of this converting-process, I'm not sure where I should start. Do I need to convert all the header files in the include-folder (dxsdk), what tools are required... I'm really stuck so any help is very appreciated.

I do have a program that I wrote that would convert the type library from the "OLE/COM object viewer" program into a format that is compatible with compiling with the MKTYPLIB program.

Also, I need to clarify some of the stuff I said earlier. MKTYPLIB.EXE compiles .ODL files, MIDL.EXE compiles .IDL files. The OLE/COM Object Viewer exports .IDL files. The reason I created a program to convert the .IDL to .ODL was that I had problems getting MIDL to compile my type libraries.

Things you need for this is the DirectX 9 C++ SDK, the unmanaged version, you'll need to convert the header files into either IDL(interface definition language) or ODL(object definition language?). Then you'll need either MKTYPLIB or MIDL to compile into a type library.

You may want to download some of Patrice Scribes type libraries, and then open them with the OLE/COM viewer program to see the IDL source. You could open the Directx 7 or 8 type libraries, but that won't help you much because those type libraries are type libraries for a wrapper ActiveX dll, which do not correspond to the actuall directx objects.

Another option to consider is an ActiveX dll. Click on the "Articles" link on the right of this page, and read the article "Nitro for VB" by Torsten Damberg. It's a basic ActiveX DLL in C++. You could do what Microsoft did with DirectX 7 and 8 and create an ActiveX wrapper for DirectX. This method would probably be more difficult to program though.

If you have trouble finding the type libraires from Patrice Scribe, then email me and I'll send them to you. I also have some other stuff about creating type libraries that I can send to you as well if you need it.

I'll be out of town till Wednesday, so don't expect a speedy reply

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
VBGamer © Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2002 - 2004 Eric Coleman, Peter Kuchnio , et. al.