Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  10:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Just a note... it looks like you spell "DaBooda" wrong, the right would be "DaBooda" and not "Dabrooda".

Whatever. Who knows...
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  10:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ooops, bad bad Sion!! No desert for me tonight!
Thanks for pointing that out... guess I just think "DaBrooda" sounds cooler than "DaBooda". DaBooda sort of lacks some contrast, it's a bit monoton.

Visit my personal blog at www.AndersNissen.com!
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  1:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I'm not monotone at all... lol...

OMG...... I did not expect this at all, to tell you the truth, I thought it would be a done deal... this is great... absolutely fantastic.....Thanks for the support guys...

Good news... I have power now, and I can commence to wrapping up v1.4 and submit... I have noticed others working on v1.4 also, so I need to get with them first before finalizing the update... man this is great... a real group effort... and I just saw the new website, and the emoticons above are the emotions I felt seeing it.... fantastic... and thank you scorpion blood for keeping that rocking logo... I love that thing... lol..

As for internet, going to be awhile, probably not until january of next year.... but thank god for the library, I will keep in contact and send updates to the contributors, so we can finally get v1.4 out and start making some games... I will hopefully have this version wrapped up by next weekend... my two jobs permitting... and the wife...lol... but I went almost a week without power... do not recommend that to anybody, but it let me dwell on the engine for a little bit, and some great ideas came to me...

Again... thanks for the support... This makes the work put into this worth it, this is the reason for starting the project... thank you and cheers...

DaBooda Back.... (well sort of)

P.s. The history of the DaBooda title.... My wife infectionately named me and my belly budha and me being a budhist it fit... but I couldn't use the name... so I changed it to Buda... well that just looks bad on screen... so I changed it to Booda... well I liked it... but was online one day surfing and typed it in out of curiosity... well Booda is a company that makes Pet Toys..(seriously..lol) So I thought how about Master Booda ( I was accused of egotism), so changed it to The Booda... I liked it, but again looked bad... I have this friend that says Da instead of The, and I make fun of him for it... but thought why not, and it stuck.... DaBooda... That is the history of the name... lol

And thanks again to everyone... This engine will persist...

DaBooda Team is back: http://dabooda.789mb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  2:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good to have you back DaBuda :)
I'm almost done with the network class. I think it's actually going to be pretty cool. I'll let you know when I'm done testing and documenting.
PS. Please change your signature - it reminds me of a very dark time in the history of VB game development ;)

Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  2:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There that signature is a better one, and thank you for working on that... man that was a great idea you had, and thanks for putting in the time to implement it....

And Scorpion Blood, I love that web site, I keep looking at it, unfortunately, these library computers have there resolution set for the blind, so I cannot see the whole page, but What I did see rocks....

DaBooda out... for today, be back on in a couple...

And thanks again guys...

DaBooda Team is back: http://dabooda.789mb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  2:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice ;) u r back ;) hehe hoo and another thing im thinking making a MapMaker for the engine but i need some info and right now i dont have time to explain :( another thing is that if i will do this is not this month cause i dont have time working on it :\ i just did a little of paper work, making and designing how wold be the gui...

Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  3:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Scorpion_Blood, You've stolen my idea! I've also thought of making a map editor for generel use with the engine. But hey, this engine is a community efford (although it's mostly been DaBooda's efford) so whoever makes the editor I'll just share some of the things I thought for it.
A few things:
- Multi-layered map editing (much like in Starcrafts Campain Editor) where tile states (eg. block, water, damage, ...) is edited in the normal map. It should be able to turn the different states on/off.
- The ability to texture maps isometric using retangular textures (texture maps). This would involve rotating the retangular texture by 90 degress (I think) and reducing the height of the rotated texture.
- Being able to edit and change between several layers of different maps. Using this technique you could make a rich (RPG-like) map with eg. grass/water/lava as layer 1 (beneith main character), rocks/debris/roads/floors as layer 2 (also beneith), tree trunks/walls/fences as layer 3 (same level as character), tree crowns/roofs as layer 4 (possibly above character. Could also be alpha faded where character is positioned so the main character is visible inside a house but the surrounding houses still have roofs), clouds as layer 5 (above everything). Just an example.
- Being able to add dynamic shadow maps. This would involve creating a copy of the map layer that should have shadow and then changing the color to darker and displacing the layer to cast shadows in the chosen direction and with the chosen strength. The shadow layer should then be z-positioned below the original map. For this approach to work much of the map should be "empty" or transparant so the lower layers are showing. The layer could hold eg. hold layer 4 in the previous example and the cowns of the trees would cast a soothing shadow that the player could rest in :)
- The editor should also handle the movement, linking, transition etc. of the maps and save that infomation in the same file as the rest of the map data.

Well, they're just thoughts and some of them may be a bit complicated to make. For instance, the ideas I've proposed is based on a top-down RPG scroller and may not work very well with a Mario-type game.
I should really learn to divide my posts in to more, smaller posts. I'm never gonna reach 350 posts and get 5 stars posting at this pace. :P

Edited by - Sion on Jul 07 2004 3:46:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  4:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Scorpion_Blood speaking of editor GUI's - try and take a look at some of the considerations about editor design in this tread by VBBR:
http://www.vbgamer.com/msgboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223

Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  6:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Goddamn, the network class is going to be great :)

Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  01:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
talk to us more info about the MP class to add a new in the page ;)

anyway about the mapmaker, u r basing on the starcraft map editor, right? i never used it r played it so i cant see what u mean in some parts ;)
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2004 :  07:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Scorpion_Blood - how are work progressing on the new DaBooda website? And is it going to be dynamic so we'll be able to add new content?

EDIT: I just looked at the graphical layout of the new site (http://clientes.netvisao.pt/sdesign/dbt.jpg) where there's a admin login form in the lower left part of the picture. Guess that answers my second question :)

Edited by - Sion on Jul 10 2004 08:00:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2004 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i just need to change something in the layout (tiny fixes) then maybe in the middle of the week i will start code it cause i need to study tomorrow :\ and about the second question u already know :D
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2004 :  3:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope to be releasing a BETA version of my network class later tonight. It still needs a bit of error handling and final pollishing, but by releasing it early you can take a look at it and give me feedback before releasing the final.
I'll probably create a new forum thread for feedback/comments/requests/bug reports etc. on the class to avoid cluttering up this thread.

EDIT: If you thought I was kidding then you better think again . The new thread can be found at http://www.vbgamer.com/msgboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=234&whichpage=-1&REPLY_ID=2254.

Edited by - Sion on Jul 12 2004 10:38:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

sdw
Warrior

USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  11:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit sdw's Homepage  Click to see sdw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was it really necessary to tell people you made a new thread?
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No, I guess not. I just thought the post was a bit uncomplete because I only said that I hoped that I'll be able to release the class that night, not that I actually made it. If it bothers you, I'll be happy to remove that comment.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
VBGamer © Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2002 - 2004 Eric Coleman, Peter Kuchnio , et. al.