New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  11:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news: V1.4 is DONE!! except for the help file and a few more tutorials, which will be done by the end of this week, I have two more days off this week, so I can do some heavy duty typing to catch this thing up...

Bad News: V1.4 has lost compatibility with earlier versions, so a whole new DLL must be distributed, I apologize for this, but I made too many changes to this thing... and am thinking this is probably best, because v1.4 is a much better engine than earlier versions..

What this means for the developers is, if they wish to use v1.4 in a current project all they have to do is reference v1.4 and dereference v1.3 or earlier...

Before releasing this version we need to incorporate the network class into this, so it will be complete... and again, I am working on the help file as well as more tutorials to be released with it...

The map editor is a great Idea, but I would wait on working on it for v1.4... this way it will be complete, and from now one any other versions will only have small changes to keep compatibility... I hope and again apologize for this problem, I tried everything to get around this, with no luck..

DaBooda out...

Next week definitely... I will work on nothing but this... oh and after v1.4 is out, I will dedicate more time to actually working on games...I hope...lol

DaBooda Team is back: http://dabooda.789mb.com/
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  11:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh and one more thing, any contributors want an advance copy of v1.4 just reply to me with email, and I will send it to you... of course the help file and tutorials are still being worked upon...

Also when we release this new version, we need some debuggers who will go through and find errors within the engines commands, I have found numerous ones on the lesser used commands... and have fixed them.....

DaBooda out...

And thanks again for keeping this thing alive... people have put to much work into this thing to let it die... thanks again...

And I will make another trip over here tommorrow to post some more got to go to work now... peace out...

Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2004 :  2:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
waaa a little bit late hein ;) good news booda, another thing is if the engine can have png features, like using the alpha channel of it! i dont know if this can work with DX... im telling this is because the DDS file, creating an alpha channel for it is a bit dificult on PS... anyway hope u here tomorrow ;)
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  2:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember, the engine already supports the use of PNG-files. You just have to use the custom file format when loading the picture.

Visit my personal blog at www.AndersNissen.com!
Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  4:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know that but the main png feature... alpha channel doesnt work... or i have to put the format of the texture?
Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2004 :  5:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok i got it working but with TGA files but tga files are big (in file size) and i dont want that anyway i think the prblem is that when i save in png format the alpha channel font get saved... i have to check this out

Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  05:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe I've misunderstood your question, but I have no problem loading PNG-images as textures, and still preserving the alpha chanal. The following code works on my computer:

'Intialize Textures  
    With Engine.DBTexture  
        .SetFolder App.Path + "/Texture/"  
        .Add 256, "devil.png", , 4  
    End With

DaBooda are you still alive?! Get out version 1.4 already!

Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  2:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
already discovered what is the problem ;) Photoshop dont let save PNG images with the alphachannel... i have to use TGA...

Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  2:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That sounds odd. I've used PhotoShop 7.0 to make all the graphics for my Meteor Impact game. And all that graphic was in PNG-format. Do you use an older version of PhotoShop, because version 7 is capable of saving in PNG-format?

Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  2:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
PS8 (CS) lol

but its not that... i mean... u can create the PNG files but the alphachannel cant be saved... ;)
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  12:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, Ok, I know I promised the new version to be out by next week over two weeks ago, but I have been working non stop and haven't had any time. I am rewriting the Help file, which was a mistake, but now I am halfway through with it, so I can't stop now... Also I have been working some bugs out and a few other odds and ends.... Not to mention new tutorials, which this new version would be useless without. But I have this entire weekend off and this is my schedule...
1. Chase wife out of house so I can have peace and quiet...
2. Finish this god forsaken help file...
3. Finish tutorials
4. Wrap this all up and have Scorpion post it for me...

As to if this will happen, It will, trust me, I have so many ideas rolling around in my head about new games its killing me... and I know I am putting alot of people on pause... and I will get this thing out there, for it will have to last, I am going to make some games if it kills me...lol...so no new versions from me for awhile after this one... (hence the taking so long thing)

Also the png thing, I have tried also, and have had no luck... there is a way to do this, but it will most likely have to wait until v1.5... for now for alpha channels, unfortunately, .dds or .tga files will have to work (I didn't even think of .TGA)... Which I know they are huge but would you believe that the compression rate zipped on a .dds and .png file is the same, so therefore, export wise they take up the same amount of room.

I will be releasing several new tutorials, one on making .dds files and some other little things, not engine specific persay, but a help to making games...

Also I need someone to take all the old tutorials once I get v1.4 out there and rereference them with v1.4, this way, new people to the engine can run them... I would do this, but I have like a dummy used my copies as debugging programs, and have them all out of wack... and for some reason cannot download here at the library, they have some kind of lock..(sucks)...

But by next week(I mean it even if it means staying up all weekend) v1.4 will be out... And again I apologize for the incompatibility, but I knew it would happen eventually, and from now on it will have to be this way, unless someone smarter than me can figure out how to make this thing compatible... but here is my plan, we will reach version 2 and streamline all the code, and just make a new engine... well maybe..

DaBooda out....

And I will have this thing done, promise....

Oh, and one more thing here are some of the new features...

Added resource class that will allow you to put all your resources in one file with password encryption
Added many mouse features, even hovering capabilitys as well as using sprites as pointers...
Added a cool vertex system, that basically lets you handle a group of sprites as if they where a 3d object.. too cool...
Added catches for fullscreen and windowed lost focus... no more errors..
Added a new render style option that uses the DX8 Sprite class instead of the strip style... looks alot better...
Added two commands that allow you to choose how textures will be rendered to the screen...
Added an actual viewport, so now you can set the screen to any size in fullscreen mode...
Added A counter class that will allow you to use multiple 2 looped counters that you can apply to any property in the engine... this reduces game programming to nothing almost...
Added 2 more sprite collision detections, rect and polygon....
Added a multiple sound buffer system, now more than one instance of a single sound can play...
Added many fetures to the text, which now allows for up to 16 fonts on the screen as well as alignment methods with make formating way easier..
Added many more QM's to the overlays and sprites that now allow you to spread a color amongst multiple objects, as well as aligning many objects...
Added... whew... there is more.. trust me... this is why this thing has taken so long...lol... I took every idea emailed to me and programmed it...and added some...
This will be out by next week... bare with me a little bit here... then I will start releseasing games... first one being........ you guessed it Extreme Pong... why, because I want too.... lol...

Edited by - masterbooda on Aug 05 2004 12:40:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  3:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds great! Good to hear from you again Dabooda!
...and those new features... ahhh!

Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  8:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
expect a release of the new site in 10 days starting counting today ;)
Go to Top of Page

Almar

Netherlands
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  9:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Almar's Homepage  Send Almar an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Compressed TGA is maybe an idea?
Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  4:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how can i compress an TGA?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
VBGamer © Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2002 - 2004 Eric Coleman, Peter Kuchnio , et. al.