New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  1:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never Fear, v1.4 is here!!!

I finally completed this thing, and as soon as Scorpion gets it uploaded and posted it will be ready to download..

I apologize for the time it took me to do this, and I do hope that you are satisfied with the changes, because this is going to be it for me for awhile, unless there is something major, but I am going to be making some games now... My mind is ready to explode from ideas...lol

Please respond back to me with any opinions, ideas, or problems with the files... I will be back on here tommorrow, or hopefully sometime tonight... Sorry again for the wait, and I do hope it was worth it...

As a reminder this is a new DLL, but all that has to be done with current projects, is you have to change the reference, that is it, for the commands are still the same, all I did was add new stuff, and worked some stuff out behind the commands...

If you wish to email me and bash me in the head for making you wait so long, then that is ok too.... lol... but hopefully this will stand up to the expectation...

DaBooda out...

DaBooda Team is back: http://dabooda.789mb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  2:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awsome news master ;)

OK EVERYONE, the file is upload and the news page updated... so GET IT!! :D

Go here and click on the link to download >> http://www.dabooda-engine.tk/

next week i will be of so the new page will be paused ;) well enjoy it :D
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  3:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!!

It's been a long way comming, but I've just glanced at it, and it seems more than well worth the wait!
The new features sounds simply mesmerizing [??] and the new helpfile is looking very neat. And the vertex class!... ahhh...
All these features seem a bit overwhelming, and the tutorials isn't as extensive as the ones for the previous versions - but you imply that more tutorials are to come, so I guess they will provide more insight.

Version 1.4 is great, however (there is always a "however") I've found a couble of minor bugs.
When trying to run the app. included with "Tutorial C" I get a runtime error related to the .Render-method. The same happens from the IDE after a while. For some reason, a simple "DoEvents" after .Render seem to fix the problem on my computer.
EDIT: That "DoEvents"-thingy does work after all...
EDIT2: ARGH, I messed up my previous edit - it should have been dosn't instead of does. It does't work. (wow, almost made the same mistake again :( )
In "Tutorial D" the vertex-class (which looks great by the way) uses a texture called "Blank.png". If might be pure white intentionally (as the name implies), but the white surfaces makes it really hard to see the "poor man's 3D" in action.

And by the way, thanks for the comment on the "Contributers"-page - I'm flattered . But it's SION, not SCION!!
Now that version 1.4 is out, I'm going to complete the DBNetwork add-in when I get the time.

Great job DaBooda, it's going to be a delight to make games using this engine (I already have a few games in the works. )!

Visit my personal blog at www.AndersNissen.com!

Edited by - Sion on Aug 17 2004 01:45:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ophidian
Squire

10 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2004 :  3:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great!!! thx again for this marvellous engine (all team)!
anyway, can someone tell me how i do this:
when you set on the DBAutoMove class, mapview follows the according sprite, but, it works fine when move step is 1 pixel by 1 pixel. I changed the `speed` of the sprite, (32 pixels) and now, mapview follow the sprite, but a bit late and slowly :\
any suggestion? like adding the ImmediateMove property ;)

thx again
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great!! Fantastic, I am glad everything went through ok, I was worried for the last 3 days, that I might have messed something up with the files or something to that nature. I was hurried to release this thing at the end, all because of that monstor help file, my finger tips are still bruised...lol .. I am glad it is going over this well.

That error in tutorial c, I had that happen one time, and it has to do with that stupid mouse... its a DirectX8 thing... it gives you exclusive control over it, but windows will pop in every now and then and take it over again, which causes that error... I am glad that that is all it takes to fix it, is that doevents after render, which is kind of strange, seeing how the .render command has a doevents built into it... but at least that is all for now... I hope...lol

As for the tutorials, yes I am going to write some more, I just ran out of time.. and I tried to cover the essentials... but I need a favor, just when you can list something you wish me to explain and I will write a tutorial on it. The problem is, is I added too much to the engine, and it is hard to find a starting point to explain...

And yes I should have used something besides that stupid white texture, but I was really trying to show the fogging effects, and if you scale it out, and change the z, it will really show up... sorry about that..

About the Automove problem, well how automove works is it tracks the sprite on each render pass... and how it tracks it is by moving the map towards it, by the maps speed... so in essence with your sprite moving 32pxs, and your map moving 1pxs... every sprite move, the engine has to do 32 render passes to catch up... so to fix this problem be sure to set up your map to the same increment as your sprite... I had to set it up this way for limits and such to work... but it is a great method, when everything is set up right... I am actually going to do another tutorial on this, to explain how I did the demo 1.3 part where the orb is bouncing off the walls, it covers a little more on auto move... just remember the sprite speed is independent of the auto move, all the sprite reference tells it is which one to track..

Thanks again for the interest so far, and thank you for accepting the new version... and I am sorry about that name sion, truly I am... you do know that I meant well...lol... sorry again...

DaBooda out...

P.S. Lets start making some games now, I know I am...

Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  12:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I wanted to add one thing about that immediate move property... there is a command in the math class that will do the same thing, and it is I believe updatemaptosprite... this will move the map to center on the sprite... very handy..

DaBooda out...

Go to Top of Page

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  12:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering, I am kindly willing to contribute something to this engine (code wise), but I simply don't know what kind of feature it lacks.

So please, if someone wants a specific feature added I could consider it...

Whatever. Who knows...
Go to Top of Page

Ophidian
Squire

10 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  5:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah :))))
DBMath.SetMapToSprite....
i'm stupid....

now, another thing i didn't realize:

take the (old) DBTutorial8, wich is fabulous, and do some changes:

'////////////////////////////////////
Me.Width = 512 * Screen.TwipsPerPixelX
Me.Height = 512 * Screen.TwipsPerPixelY
Me.BorderStyle = 0
'Initialize display
Engine.InitializeDisplay Main.hWnd, True, 512, 512

'Set up map view
Engine.SetUpMapView 0, 0, 512, 512, 1

'set up frame rate
Engine.DBFPS.SetFrameRate 600
'////////////////////////////////////////////////

then, remove all :
.QMSetLimit 2, 1, 1, True, True, False, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 2, 1, True, True, True, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 3, 1, True, True, True, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 1, 2, False, True, False, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 2, 2, True, True, True, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 3, 2, True, True, False, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 1, 3, False, True, True, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 2, 3, True, True, True, True
.QMSetLimit 2, 3, 3, False, True, True, True

and then, run
wait somes secondes, and see what append to water....
can you tell me how to repair this bug ? (maybe it's not a bug, i have probably forgotten something....again....)
thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Sion
Warrior

Denmark
138 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  05:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sion's Homepage  Click to see Sion's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If black rectangles appear where there should be water, the water-map is probably not sized right. You may have forgotten to change the size of the map(s) and submap(s). Be careful though - when I change only one of the map sizes (map or submap) VB crashes, so change both or none.

Visit my personal blog at www.AndersNissen.com!
Go to Top of Page

Ophidian
Squire

10 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  07:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..... but it's a looped map... and i can't change submap size up to 256, and in the example it's a 256 submap.
Go to Top of Page

yinxiaodan
Neophyte

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  05:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm Chinese ,I don't understand English.

I like making game.

I like "DaBooda Turbo" game engine

I don't open "www.dabooda-engine.tk"

I don't Know how to Using the daboodaengine

So please, where down the example ? ,tell me.

thank you with warm personal regards

Go to Top of Page

yinxiaodan
Neophyte

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  05:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can I making Rpg game with use "DaBooda Turbo" game engine ?
Go to Top of Page

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  11:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can create an RPG. (sorry I don't know how to use the engine but Sion knows)

It will be hard to explain many things if you don't understand english.

Try to see the website using the link below:

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/dbturbo/Index.htm

Whatever. Who knows...
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  2:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First congratulations sion for Meteor Impact, being downloaded that often, I still play it, to be honest for the music mostly and the workout on the clicking finger, I love that old school stuff....

For the AutoMove question about the Mapview and SubMaps and Maps, yes sion was right, you have to change your sub maps size to reflect the size of the mapview, this is only because you are using limits, if you chose to take the limits off, and looped it, you can keep them that size. I do not know if I am making sense or just making it more confusing. The reason it is showing black patches, is because the limit is keeping it from looping around, just keep your sizes kind of the same. A good rule of thumb is to make sure that your total map is bigger than the mapview, and if using limits, make sure you are not limiting opposing sides within the same map view. I hope this clarifies it some. The reason for the error when changing the size of just one map, is because the maps are moving at the same rate, in that demo, and without the looping, the engine will try to read a sub map that isn't there.

I do Hope I am making sense, all you need to do is to keep trying different things, until you feel it click, because trust me, once you get this mapping system down, it is very easy, just has a higher learning curve, which I apologize for, but I wanted to make it as versatile as possible...

If you want to know what kind of games you can make with this engine, .... ANY!!! There is no specific type of game, this will make action, adventure, rpg, point and click, puzzle...etc... It is up to the programmer as to what kind of game you make... my inspiration behind this engine, was home console systems, this is truly what I was aiming for, so this really isn't a traditional type of gaming engine... but you can still make the traditional games... I hope... lol...

And VBBR, thanks for the offer, the best thing I can tell you is to just try making a game with the engine, and if you feel it is lacking in something, feel free to dig into the code... This is really all I can think to do, but I am wanting to set up a request page or something...

DaBooda out...

Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  3:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yinxiaodan

I'm Chinese ,I don't understand English.

I like making game.

I like "DaBooda Turbo" game engine

I don't open "www.dabooda-engine.tk"

I don't Know how to Using the daboodaengine

So please, where down the example ? ,tell me.

thank you with warm personal regards

Sorry if u r Chinese and live in china probably u cant reach my host, (it is a portuguese host), soon i will pay for a better host and the server will be in netherlands sooo i think it will work ;)

HAHA ppl im back from my little vacation, i need to rest a little cause im very exaust :D

in the way to the vacation i did some writing, and already got a little story for my first "PUBLIC" release of the game, well its more a Bomberman clone BUT it will be diferent than bombermen ;)

i should start this project next week, :D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
VBGamer © Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2002 - 2004 Eric Coleman, Peter Kuchnio , et. al.