New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  10:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am really concerned about these errors, and I really need to know specifics and machine specs, mainly video card and memory on card...

I have noticed that these guys running these integrated video cards are having really bad problems, and that is something I knew would happen for those are really bad cards most of the time, and this engine requires a pretty nice video card to fully operate... this is to be expected and it really isn't anything to do with the programming, but DirectX8 and its requirements... This may make me sound like an uncaring person, but I will not lower the standards of this engine, just so people who won't fork out 30$ for a decent card, can play the games.... if you are serious about gaming then you should definetely get serious about your hardware... of course this is just my opinion... for anyone curious the engine was designed on and still is being designed on a nvidia card from 1999 with only 16mb of memory on it, and, I know that less will work... but that is enough of my ranting... for you should know that this is really a 2d Engine, built on a 3d class, made for cards that support some 3d architecture... basically this is 2d with an edge...

As for the automation error, I need to know a little more about it, like the number it gives... because most likely it has to do with the mouse, and this is an issue that is hard for me to work on, for I cannot get it to emulate on my machine.... Also the new tutorials, and this is completely my fault, I forgot to put an engine shutdown sequence in the form terminate routine, for I only put one for when a person escapes... So if they just close it manually, yes there will be an error, and yes it will sometimes persist, because the devices where never destroyed... this is my fault, and I will fix these... trust me if you shut down the engine with this one command...

Set Engine = Nothing

It will shutdown properly in each instance, if you do this... and for the tutorials, just hit escape and it will do the same thing... sorry about that, I was rushed on these... but as for the engine, there is nothing wrong in this area...

One last thing, (sorry trying to get it all out...lol), I was told that doing a loop while your program was minimized was the wrong thing to do for it ate up bookoo(not a word) resources, but I tried this, and it did nothing on my machine, but the guy was running xp, and it might be different... can anyone resolve this for me, just run one of the fullscreen tutorials, minimize it and check cpu usage... I would appreciate it...

And yes we need to get specs from people, so we can get this engine truly benchmarked... maybe I will start working on a sprite test for people to run...

I am sorry if I sound a little mad, but I recieved some emails, that kind of hurt, for all they did was tell me, I was doing it wrong, but I put too much time into this thing to be told this, for I know these people haven't even had the time to program with this version yet, some peoples children...lol...

Looks like I am going to be working on v1.5 soon, damn it....lol... one day a game will appear...lol

DaBooda out...

DaBooda Team is back: http://dabooda.789mb.com/
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to add one thing, anything said, in know way reflects the courtesy I give to the contributors, these guys have been great and have truly worked with the errors, as well as improved this thing by millions... thanks again guys...

Go to Top of Page

Eric Coleman
Gladiator

USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  11:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eric Coleman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VBBR

...it just came to me, wouldn't it be interesting if we had the articles and tutorials translated to other languages?

What articles? What tutorials? No one wants to contribute anything, even though I've begged and begged. Unless there starts to be a steady stream of new content, then multilanguage tutorials are are a bit out the context of this website.

quote:
Originally posted by masterbooda

bookoo(not a word)

Yes it is. The correct spelling is beaucoup.

quote:

I am really concerned about these errors, and I really need to know specifics and machine specs, mainly video card and memory on card...

Do you actually do any enumeration to detect hardware capabilities? Or do you just let the program display an automation error?
Go to Top of Page

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  12:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know which kind of tutorial would be very useful. Maybe sometime soon I could write one about setting up Python for use as a scripting language in VB(5 and 6).

Whatever. Who knows...
Go to Top of Page

Scorpion_Blood
Warrior

Portugal
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  1:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Scorpion_Blood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VBBR

I don't know which kind of tutorial would be very useful. Maybe sometime soon I could write one about setting up Python for use as a scripting language in VB(5 and 6).

u have a tool to do VB to PY :D http://vb2py.sourceforge.net/index.html looks neat ;)
Go to Top of Page

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  1:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hum, I will take a look at that. Currently I'm using Python through WSH but I think that's worth a shot.

edit: oh, that's not what I'm talking about. I was saying, about using Python inside a VB app, such as a game, to do the scripting. But vb2py seems interesting anyway.

Whatever. Who knows...

Edited by - VBBR on Aug 23 2004 1:29:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

SneakyPete
Neophyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  10:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi there

Here is the error message I receive:

Run-time error "-2147220896 (80040260)": Automation error

and my system specs are as follows:

Intel PIII 550
192Mb RAM
Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 64MB
Windows XP
DirectX 9

This error occurs regardless of whether you exit the app using Esc or by terminating the program, so I don't think the problem was caused by not including the shutdown sequence in the terminate routine. After a little bit of fiddling around, it seems that it may actually have something to do with the DBVertexGroup class. I altered the Tutorial D very slightly (just added Set VGroup = New DBVertexGroup in the Form_Load sub) and this made the problem worse.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do you actually do any enumeration to detect hardware capabilities? Or do you just let the program display an automation error?

Yes the important classes do this, but I am covering all bases, and this error that sneaky pete is having is not even related to the engine, for it is machine specific, mainly to XP... I am going to try to work around this error... What is happening is the DBVertex class is stand alone and is created seperate from the main core, which for some reason is causing the automation error.. anybody have any ideas on this, for this class is set up just the same as any other within this engine...(and this is all the info I could find on that error, if anybody can pinpoint what that error is specificaly, I would appreciate this)...

Has there been any bugs, worse than this one? This is what I also need to know, for it works great on my machine, but of course I programmed it to work on that machine... see the dillema here...

quote:
Yes it is. The correct spelling is beaucoup.

Was it necessary to point this out and make me feel like an idiot... honestly...lol

quote:
No one wants to contribute anything, even though I've begged and begged.

I beg to differ with you on this one, yes tutorials are great, and so are articles, but these forums are better, and I see people all the time contributing in this fasion... there is alot to be gained from these, and yes I see a lot of the same question, but that is going to happen with new people just joining. This doesn't mean the wealth of knowledge to be gained from herin should be discarded as redundant information.

Another point is, the veteran members have a tendency to be a little berating in critisicm, which doesn't effect me, because I simply don't care, I know I write garbage code and am completely illiterate, but this may put some newer programmers off.. and some may be scared to write turorials and articles are even share some code, for this reason alone... I have seen new people do something generous and the downright critisism can be harsh, and you never hear from them again...

It is like there is some wierd contest amongst the vb'rs as to who is smartest... this project of dabooda has actually brought out the contributors who have good social and programming skills, for it takes both to really gain any knowledge.. competition defeats creativity, but this is my opinion...for this site is mainly for the hobbyists, but I could be wrong...

I will give this site one thing though, compared to the other sites, it really does reign in the bad behavior, and is tolerable, but you always have the bad apples...lol

Sorry to type so much on a really pointless subject, but sometimes it gets to me... thanks again guys for the help on these errors...

DaBooda out...

Go to Top of Page

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  11:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we shouldn't bother with that post of Eric. He probably was a little tired or something when he posted that.

(no offense Eric, I'm just pointing out that you're not usually rude )

Whatever. Who knows...
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  12:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He did sound a little frustrated...lol... but I am too, but I did not take any offense to it...lol

I will do him a favor and work on some gaming tutorials, people can always use those, right? Just simple physics and mapping methods, maybe even one on how to do some tight game loops... but first I will complete the game I am currently working on, which should be done within the month, time permitting, it is a goofy little game called adventures of lolo, which was originally on the nintendo console, and yes the copywrite on the game is no longer active, so I will be allowed to do this... also copywrites on games I have been doing some studying and it seems that they only apply truly if you make some sort of profit off of them or you prevent the company from making a profit(considering the game is no longer sold, this is no problem either)... cool heh, considering all my junk is freeware...yeah!! and this also helps because I seem to never have an original thought in my blocky head....

It will also have an editor, sorry if I seem excited, but I am finally getting to design some games again.... weeee....

DaBooda out...

Go to Top of Page

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  12:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hum, not to disappoint you, but I think Shadox Software (sdw) is working on something similar.

Also you seem to have good ideas for tutorials. I would like to write one or two, but I'm completely out of ideas. So, if you could share some ideas with me, I would be glad...

Whatever. Who knows...
Go to Top of Page

Brykovian
Bryk the Cheese Slayer!

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  2:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brykovian's Homepage  Click to see Brykovian's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Howdy booda! Nice work on the engine ... keep it up! Glad to see this type of work being done.

However, I have to point out that I think your ideas behind "copyrights" are faulty ...
quote:

... a goofy little game called adventures of lolo, which was originally on the nintendo console, and yes the copywrite on the game is no longer active, so I will be allowed to do this... also copywrites on games I have been doing some studying and it seems that they only apply truly if you make some sort of profit off of them or you prevent the company from making a profit(considering the game is no longer sold, this is no problem either)...

For example, copyrights usually last for 70 years after the death of the copyright holder ... so I doubt the copyright on *any* computer game have become "no longer active" ...

Now, copyrights only apply to things that are "fixed in a tangible medium of expression" ... for a computer game, this is usually the code and the resources (graphics, sounds, music, etc.). The title and ideas behind the game *cannot* be copyrighted ... although they *can* be trademarked and patented, respectively.

You might want to check out this site for an overview of US Copyright law: http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/

With that said, if you plan to make a clone of an old game, using your own graphics, etc., and avoiding any trademark issues ... you should be fine. And, even then, all of this only matters if the original rights holder wishes to press legal action -- which is unlikely for a really old computer game.

-Bryk

www.mwgames.com
Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  12:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are right, I did some more research, and all the law states, is you are allowed to own a copy of an old game without purchase, if said game is no longer sold or distributed, but I am going to go ahead and go through with it, for I doubt any serious consequences happen from it. For this game is really old, and I doubt much will be said for the simple fact, I am not selling this thing, and the code is essentially mine, for I am emulating it not copying it... this also goes for the graphics, which will be revamped for at least a 16bit look, and the music and sound I am having to sort of create out of the original... I do not see this being a problem, and if it is, oh well, this was to great of a game, and I wan't to intoduce it to a newer generation.... also I am giving full credit to the authors of the game...

Shadox is working on the same thing, but they are calling if Frojo, or something of that nature, but I do not see anywhere that they are giving any credit to HAL for the original... maybe they are worried also, but I am not...

The coding is the hardest thing, for I have been sitting hours in front of my nintendo, watching sprite behavior, it is very hard to emulate it exactly, so the version I am programming will be a little different... but who knows, copyright laws can be so cryptic, it is hard to follow them... but of course I am a moron...lol

Thanks byrk for the words of support... I believe in another year this engine will be THE engine... well it is good to dream anyways...lol

DaBooda out...

Go to Top of Page

masterbooda
Swordmaster

277 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  12:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit masterbooda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh and VBBR, I think a good Idea for a tutorial would be one on maybe mapping, I see so many questions about this, and there are some, but maybe some more in depth ones will be necessary... also this is one I am curious about, and that is how to make an entity react with a 3d environemnt... like jumping on ledges, walls, and such.. I am kind of curious about that one.. these are just few suggestions... more people seem to be interested in 3d anymore anyways....

DaBooda out...

Go to Top of Page

VBBR

Brazil
617 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be interesting, as the game I plan on creating along with The VB Adventure Maker could use something like that. Then after developing the system I could write a tutorial. Maybe one about 3D mapping and how to program interaction with the map.

Thanks for the idea.

Whatever. Who knows...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
VBGamer © Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2002 - 2004 Eric Coleman, Peter Kuchnio , et. al.